Dr. Mukesh Sharma
Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India
- Doctor of Philosophy (Civil Engineering)
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, August 1994
- Master of Tecnology (Civil Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India, July 1982
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil Engineering)
University of Indore, Indore, India, July 1980
Dec'97 – Present
IIT Kanpur, Kanpur
[Associate Professor: Dec’97 – Nov’03 and Professor Nov’03 – present]
Air Quality Modelling and Management, Characterization of PM2.5; Formation of Secondary Particles, Source Apportion Study; Exposure Assessment; Human and Ecological Risk Assessment, Environmental Fate Processes and Modelling, Air Quality Index; Emission Monitoring, GHG Emissions Assessment and Mitigation.
April'83 - Dec'89 and Dec.'94 - Dec.'97
Central Pollution Control Board, Delhi
Development of Source Emission/Discharge Standards, Environmental Policies, Air Dispersion Modelling
Jan'91 - April'91, Jan'92 - April'92, Sept.'94 - Dec'94
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Remediation of Urban Runoff for PAH Control, Dispersion and Deposition of PAHs
July'82 - Dec'82
National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi
Water supply and Drainage Scheme for Katihar Town
Aug'81 - July'82
Research and Teaching Assistance
Awards and Recognitions:
- Fellow of National Academy of Engineering (FNAE) Elected for 2014
- Poonam and Prabhu Goel Chair Professor, 2014-2017
- Kong Ha Award in Air Quality from Clean Air Asia, a UN supported foundation, 2012
- Hiyoshi Environmental Award by Hiyoshi Corporation, Japan, Excellence in Research and Technology Development, 2012
- Recipient of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 1998.
- Member International Executive Scientific Advisory Committee of the Workshop On Agricultural Air Quality: State Of The Science, June 2006, Washington DC.
- Recipient of Ministry of Environment (Ontario), Canada award for excellence in Research and Technology Development, 1994.
- Recipient of International Commonwealth Scholarship, Ottawa, Canada, January 1990 - August 1994.
- Recipient of Faculty of Engineering Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada in three successive years: 1991, 1992 and 1993.
- Member Convener, National Advisory Committee on Strengthening of Environmental Science and Engineering Education and Research at IIT Kanpur.
- Member of Peer and Core Committee of Central Pollution Control Board, Delhi to finalize Environmental Standards, 2004.
- Member, National Task Force on Thermal Power Plant, Central Pollution Control Board, 2002.
- Member, Environmental Committee, Indian Road Congress, New Delhi, 2003-2005.
- Member, Committee for Evaluation of World Bunk Funded Projects of Central Pollution Control Board, 2002.
- Member, Technical Committee of World Bank Project on Ranking of The Industry from Environmental Angle, coordinated by CII (Confederation of Indian Industry), 2002-03.
- President of WIRA (Waterloo Indian Researchers Association), an association of Graduate Students at University of Waterloo, Canada, involved in organizing conferences, community works, orientation to new students, November. 1991 - May 1992.
Distinguished Instructor/Tutor Recognition, Academic Senate, IIT Kanpur:
- CE602 (2014-15/I), Advanced Mathematics for Civil Engineers
- EEM 701 (2013-14/II), Special Topics in Environmental Engineering
- EEM 702 (2013-14/II), Environmental Economics
- ESO 208 (2013-14-I: tutor), Numerical Methods
- EEM 606 (2013-14-I) , Air Pollution and Its Control
- CE602 (2011-12/I), Advanced Mathematics for Civil Engineers
- EEM 701 (2010-11/II), Special Topics in Environmental Engineering
- EEM 606 (2010-11/II), Air Pollution and Its Control Engineering
- EEM 701 (2009-10/II), Special Topics in Environmental Engineering
- CE 463 (2003-04/II) Environmental Impact and Risk Assessment
- TA-101 (2002-03/I: tutor), Engineering Graphics
- TA-101 (2008-09/II: tutor), Engineering Graphics
Best Poster Award:
- Varun Bhatt, Swarnali Sanyal, Gargi Singh and Mukesh Sharma ‘Regional Scale Chemical Transport Simulation: Development of GIS based Emission Inventory and Application of WRF and CAMx Models, in International Conference on Environmental Health and Technology, March 15-17, 2010.
- Saumya Kapur and Mukesh Sharma (mentor) “Laboratory indoor air quality for CO2 and inhalable-respirable particles: Assessment and plausible remediation through Epipremnum aureum (money plant)” SURGE 2012, IIT Kanpur.