Dr. Anil Kakodkar
President, National Academy of Sciences, India. Chairman, Rajiv Gandhi Science & Technology Commission. Chairman, Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council.
Anil Kakodkar (born on 11th November, 1943) joined the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in 1964, following the one year post graduate Training with top rank in Nuclear Science and Technology in the then Atomic Energy Establishment. He became the Director of BARC in the year 1996 and was the Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Atomic Energy, during the years 2000 -2009. Currently he is holding INAE Satish Dhawan Chair of Engineering Eminence at BARC.
Kakodkar has worked for the development of the atomic energy programme in India throughout his professional life. Undeterred by the restrictions imposed by the international community, he succeeded in developing various systems for the pressurized heavy water reactor, in building the Dhruva reactor starting from the conceptual stage, in rehabilitation of Madras Atomic Power Station Units 1&2 both of which at one stage appeared to be on the verge of being written off following failure of the moderator inlet manifolds, in conceptualization and development of Advanced Heavy Water Reactor that realizes the next generation objectives through innovative configuration of present day technologies besides use of thorium.
Kakodkar has been a key contributor to India’s strategic programme. He was among the chosen few involved in the first successful Peaceful Nuclear Explosion Experiment that India conducted on May 18, 1974 at Pokhran. And later, he played a key role in the series of successful Nuclear Tests conducted during May 1998, again at Pokhran. India also demonstrated nuclear submarine powerpack technology under Kakodkar’s leadership.
Kakodkar’s sterling leadership led to a significant boost to India’s nuclear power programme notwithstanding the uranium supply constraints. As a result and with the completion of projects launched under his leadership, India’s nuclear generation capacity is set to reach 10,000 MWe as well as poised for a rapid scale up thereafter. The comprehensive and robust programme under Kakodkar’s leadership has earned India a distinctive status as a country with advanced nuclear technology.
Notable also are his innovative contributions to human resource development activities. Establishment of NISER (National Institute of Science Education and Research), DAE-Mumbai University CBS (Centre for Basic Sciences) and HBNI (Homi Bhabha National Institute) are expected to result in a fresh wave of human resource development, generating greater experimental capabilities and bringing in linkage between basic research and technology development for the acceleration of India’s multifaceted atomic energy programme.
A committee under his Chairmanship has worked out a detailed report for greater autonomy of IITs and taking them to world class level. He also chaired an empowered committee to implement its recommendations. Another Committee led by him has carried similar exercise in the context of NITs. He also led a committee set up by Government of Maharashtra to look at higher education in the State. The committee has made important recommendations that could lead to a paradigm change for improvement of higher education in the State. Another high level committee under his Chairmanship has made comprehensive recommendations for improvement of safety on Indian Railway. Kakodkar also led a comprehensive TIFAC activity to develop a Technology Vision 2035 for the country.
Kakodkar was Chairman, Solar Energy Corporation in its formative stage. He was also Chairman of Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) during 2006 -- 2012, Chairman, Governing Board, Inter University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi and Chairman, Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay during 2006-15.
Current Key Engagements
- Chairman, Scientific Advisory Committee on Hydrocarbons of Ministry of Petrolium & Natural Gas.
- Chairman, Solar Energy Research Advisory Council, JNNSM
- Member, Mission Steering Group, JNNSM
- Member, Atomic Energy Commission
- Member, ONGC Energy Centre Trust
- Non-ex. Director, Walchandnagar Industries Ltd.,
- Member, Board of Trustees, Council on Energy, Environment & Water.
- Member, Westinghouse Advisory Council.
- Chairman, Scientific Advisory Committee, Shri Vithalrao Joshi Charities Trust Dervan, Maharashtra.
- Independent Director, Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited.
- Member, Mentor Group, Manipal University
- Member, Advisory Committee on Promotion of Research in Science & Technology in Universities & other Academic, Scientific & Engineering Institutions, Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Chennai Mathematical Institute.
- Chairman, Rajiv Gandhi Science and Technology Commission
- Chairman, Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC, Department of Science & Technology)
- President, Vigyan Prasar (Department of Science & Technology)
- Chairman, Advisory Board, Global Indian Scientists & Technocrats Forum
- Member, Board of Trustees, Asiatic Society
- Member, Executive Committee, Nehru Centre
- Member, Advisory Council, Jamanalal Bajaj Foundation
- Chairman, Genetically Modified Crops Committee, Govt. of Maharashtra.
- Member, Advisory Board of Gandhi Research Foundation
- Member, Oversight Committee, Science and Engineering Research Board
- Chairman, Nalanda Dance Research Centre Trust
- Member, Board of Gharda Scientific Research Foundation
- Indian National Academy of Engineering(was its President during 1999-2000)
- Indian Academy of Sciences
- The National Academy of Sciences, India
- Maharashtra Academy of Sciences
Academic Honours (Honoris causa)
- Doctor of Science – IIT Bombay
- Doctor of Science – IIT Kharagpur
- Doctor of Science – IIT Delhi
- Doctor of Science – University of Mangalore
- Doctor of Science – Gurunanak Dev University
- Doctor of Science – University of Mysore
- Doctor of Science – IGNOU
- Doctor of Science – Jamia Hamdard (Hamdard University)
- Doctor of Science – Pravara Institute of Medical Sciences
- Doctor of Science – Visvesvaraya Technological University
- Doctor of Science – Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya
- Doctor of Science -- University of Lucknow
- Doctor of Science -- D.Y.Patil University
- Doctor of Letters – Shivaji University
- Doctor of Literature – Goa University
- Doctor of Literature – Tilak Maharashtra University
- Doctor of Literature – Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University
- Doctor of Science – Thapar University
- Doctor of Science – Uttarakhand Technical University – 2012
- Doctor of Philosophy – Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad – 2013
- Doctor of Science & Technology, Amity University – 2013.
- Doctor of Science – GLA University Mathura – 2014
- Doctor of Science – Uttar Pradesh Technical University - 2015
Other Professional Affiliations
- Fellow, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers, India
- Trustee, Indian Nuclear Society
- Fellow, Institution of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineers, India
- Padma Sri – 1998
- Padma Bhushan – 1999
- Padma Vibhushan - 2009
- Recipient of Rockwell Medal for Excellence in Technology – 1997
- Member, International Nuclear Energy Academy
- Member, World Innovation Foundation
- Was a Member, Council of Advisors of World Nuclear University
- Member, International Nuclear Safety Advisory Group (INSAG) – 1999-2002.
- 2009 USIBC Award for Expansion of U.S.-India Trade Relations
- Appointed Officier de l’Ordre de la Legion d’Honneur by President, French Republic – 2011
- Presidential Citation from American Nuclear Society
- Industrial sign of honour by Rosatom on the occasion of the 70th anniversary
Major National Honours & Awards
- Hari Om Ashram Prerit Vikram Sarabhai Award – 1988
- MRSI – ICSC Superconductivity & Materials Science Annual Prize – 1997
- HK Firodia Award for Excellence in Science & Technology – 1997
- FICCI Award for outstanding contribution to nuclear engg. & technology - 1997-98
- ANACON –Life Time Achievement Award for Nuclear Sciences – 1998
- NAFEN’s Excellence Award (Best R & D Man) – 1998
- The Indian Science Congress Association – HJ Bhabha Memorial Award – 1999-2000
- Shriram Scientific & Industrial Research Foundation Golden Jubilee Award for Outstanding contributions to Indian technology – 2000
- Godavari Gaurav Award 2000
- National Citizen’s Award – 2001
- Chemtech Foundation Achiever of the year Award for energy – 2002
- GM Modi Innovative Science & Technology Award – 2004
- Rotary’s Vocational Excellence Award – 2006
- INAE Lifetime contribution Award in Engineering – 2006
- General President’s Award, Indian Science Congress -2007
- Ram Mohan Mission’s Ram Mohan Puraskar – 2007
- Yeshwantrao Chavan Prathishtan’s Science & Technology Award – 2007
- South Indian Education Society’s Shri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi National Eminence Award for Science & Technology – 2007
- Lakshmipat Singhania – IIM Lucknow National Leadership Award – 2007
- Maharashtra Bhushan Award of the Maharashtra Times – 2008
- Maharashtra Academy of Engineering and Educational Research’s Bharat Asmita Shreshtatva Award – 2009
- Indian Physics Association’s M.M. Chugani Memorial Award – 2009
- Tejas Puraskar –Lokamanya Tilak Vyakhyanmala -Dombivali-2009
- INS Homi Bhabha Life Time Achievement Award 2009
- Suryadatta Lifetime Achievement Award 2010
- ASG Jayakar Award, Science India Forum Oman 2010
- Swatantryaveer Savarkar Vidnyan Puraskar – 2010
- ‘Maharashtra Ratna’ (Zee 24 Taas & DNA) – 2010
- Priyadarshini Academy’s Global Award – 2010
- Wartsila Mantosh Sondhi Award – 2010
- Jeevan Sadhana Gaurav of Pune University – 2011
- Maharashtra Industrial & Economic Development Association “Y.B. Chavan Memorial Awards for Excellence” - 2011
- Outstanding Konkani Award, Dr. T.M.A. Pai Foundation, Manipal – 2011
- V. Rama Rao Technology Award – 2010
- “Visionary of India Award” by D.Y. Patil Annual Achievers Awards -2011
- Annasaheb Chirmule Charitable Trust “Chirmule Puraskar” 2012.
- India Energy Forum Honour April 2012.
- Deepak Rathod Smriti Rashtriya Vignyan Sanchar Puraskar – 2012
- “Sivananda Eminent Citizen Award”- 2012 by Sanathana Dharma Charitable Trust
- Distinguished Academician Award, IIT Patna, 2012
- “Maharashtrache Mankari” – 2012 by CBD Foundation.
- “Shrimant Malojiraje Smruti Puraskar” – Satara 2012.
- Hari Om Sharan Senior Scientist Award-2012, PRL Ahmedabad.
- Kriyasheel Global Award 2012 – Sadguru Mangeshda Kriya Yoga Foundation.
- Amar Shahid Chandrashekhar Azad Rashtriya Sanman- 2011-12, Govt. Madhya Pradesh.
- Council of Power Utilities – Lifetime Achievement Award 2013.
- Annasaheb Shinde Smruti Puraskar – 2013
- Krutadnyata Puraskar – Yeshwant Samajik Pratishthan
- “Lakshya” Distinguished Leader Award – NITIE 2014.
- “Pride of Maharashtra” award by Maharashtra Industrial and Economic Development Association, 2015.
- Eminent Engineer Award 2015 by Engineering Council of India
- gfiles Governance Award 2015 “Lifetime Achievement Award for good governance”.
State Government Awards
- 'Gomant Vibhushan' award by State of Goa – 2010
- ‘Maharashtra Bhushan award by Government of Maharashtra 2011-2012
- ‘Madhya Pradesh Gaurav’ award by Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, 2014